Do I have a problem?
If you do have a problem with alcohol or drug use, you may experience one or more of the following:
- drinking too much (perhaps vomiting or experiencing a hangover)
- overdosing (losing consciousness)
- regular need for the alcohol or other drug
- having previous failed attempts to stop using
- significant changes in mood and/or behaviour
- a decline in health (mental and/or physical)
- neglecting responsibilities
- lowered productivity
- financial problems
- deteriorating relationships at work and with family and friends
- doing things you normally wouldn’t do (such as illegal activities like stealing)
While you may not be able to immediately identify a problem with alcohol or other drug use, your pattern of use may be hazardous in that it puts you at risk of developing one or more of these problems in the future.
If you are concerned about your use, you can call the alcohol drug helpline on 0800 787 797 for free confidential information, help and support.